If/when you're in need of an emotional purge, I recommend the following films:
- Terms of Endearment - I now begin crying at the opening credits and cannot stop until the last note plays. Then I sob just a little more. "And stop pretending like you hate me." Oh Lord.
- The Hours - Guaranteed hours upon hours of bawling, for the fate of women in the past & present and for the fate of children of women in the past & present.
- Billy Elliott - If ever there was a more beautiful portrayal of fathers & sons & dead mothers, I haven't seen it.
- The Notebook - I dismissed & resisted it but when I finally watched it, my eyes and throat stung for days.
- Truly Madly Deeply - Grossly overlooked, far-better-than-Ghost tearjerker; Alan Rickman is utterly beguiling, Juliet Stevenson stunning.
- The Champ and Million Dollar Baby tie for most weep-worthy boxing movie - Dumb old sport, making people cry their eyes out.
That should do it for your weekend. Stock up on tissue and comfort foods.